Friday, June 20, 2008

The Blog with the Name Change

Today I will take another step in the process of extricating myself further from my previous life as a wife. Although for some strange reason this one is much much scarier.

Almost two years ago striking out on my own, purchasing a home for myself and boy child by myself was not nearly as frightening as what today holds.

Today, I will begin steps to change my name. Now normally a woman would, I assume, revert back to her maiden name. No issues there - no big deal. Of course that would be far too EASY for me wouldn't it? You see I would without a doubt have THE most awful maiden name. I spent the first 20 years of my life in hope that the knight in shining armour that swept me of my feet (yes folks and I'm still looking for him - the bastard - he better bloody hurry) was the owner of a surname just as majestic and handsome as the knight himself. Alas it was not meant to be. While my married name was nowhere near as awful as my maiden name, it was still not really ME.

Which leaves me in rather a spot of bother - don't want to keep the married name - but couldn't ever ever ever think about returning to my old name. So the thought occurred to me (insert lightglobe popping overhead) - why not choose a DIFFERENT name?????

Which of course then started me thinking "what's in a name" - it is our very first label that we are given - courtesy of our parents and one which we either fit comfortably from day one or spend the rest of our lives trying to deal with. With the popularity of names like Harley for boys I am wondering how many 20 year old Harleys will be walking around in about 15 years time - with nerdy glasses, their noses stuck in their computer games - whilst always knowing they will never live up to their name?

If I change my name will it fit ME? Or will I, once again, be chaffing at the label which this time I have applied to myself?

After having a long conversation with my father about the fact that while I love him dearly his name sucks (but the way Dad passed 4 years ago so it was a very onesided conversation but I felt the need to let him know I was not in any way shape or form trying to insult him). My mum also was fully supportive of my decision.

So today folks I will venture into the big city - with the 40 page application form and 120 sheets of supporting documentation to prove who I AM so I can become somebody ELSE and will change my surname to my mother's maiden name. I think that's a nice touch - it means something to me at least instead of just a random name.

Henceforth from today I shall be known as Kathleen Thornton. Nothing spectacular but I think it has a nice ring to it.

Enjoy your days people and remember - "She'll be right!!"

K

4 comments:

wok said...

So, how is it pronounced as a slurname? And the soda are asking for some Kath Thorton chick. Bastards won't lay as they should!

You be right!

wok said...

damn...soda=sods

** said...

This is so cool! Where were you after my first divorce. I kept my married name because I just couldn't go back to my maiden name. I just couldn't do it! Very long, very complicated and it starts with an "I". What kind of name starts with an "I".

I went from and 8 letter "I" name to an 5 letter "H" name. I am now at a 4 letter "F" name. HAHAHAH and no its not THAT word. I think I'll just stick with this one, I'M DONE!

WOOOOWHOOOOOO, you are brilliant my friend. I'm very very excited for you.

Unknown said...

How brilliant and exciting!! What a great way to start fresh!!