Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Blog with the Injury

I have done some stupid things in my time.

Nearly drowned while surfing. Fallen down a spiral staircase. Received internal injuries from a hurdle being set up wrong (ok so that was not MY stupidity - just somebody else's). Knocked myself out cold walking into a door.

All of those stupid things have paled into comparison at what occurred 10 minutes ago.

I was in the kitchen - preparing food. My mind I admit was wandering off somewhere else but how much concentration do you need to prepare a salad? Not like I have not done it 25,000 times before. Get salad vegetables - get knife - chop. It's not exactly brain surgery.

A few minutes into the preparation of said salad I felt the most excruciating pain in my finger. I, for a moment, was too afraid to look. Sure as I was that I would be confronted with 3 gallons of blood and half my finger hanging on by a tiny blood vessel. Hell that was the GOOD scenario - the other part of me imagined having to rummage around in the salad bowl for the severed part of my finger so that microsurgeons could attempt to reattach it. I could have offered the ambulance drivers a nice salad for their trouble?

As all of these things flashed through my mind I was also making plans for having boy child looked after during my extended stay in hospital - work commitments - who would feed Ms. Lynxy Mynx. These thoughts took place obviously within a few microseconds but by the time I steeled myself to look down I had it all planned.

The site that greeted me was an odd one.

My finger was still there. There was no blood. I did find a tiny little thorn from a cucumber sitting daintily on my finger - JUST having broken the skin.

I felt so cheated that I had wasted precious brain power on plans for my surgery and hospital stay that I was sorely tempted to actually cut my fucking finger off on purpose. Also I am strangely let down that I won't be fussed and fawned over.

Obviously I must work on my pain threshold!

K

1 comment:

Heather said...

LOL - you crack me up....